Magento Connect not Working after Site Transfer.
So, after transferring a Magento site from one server to another, I was stumped to find everything worked apart from Magento Connect. What I didn’t realise was that when Magento is initially installed, some of the files it creates in the Downloader directory are created with absolute server paths. This means when you transfer a Magento site to a new server, Magento Connect can’t workout where to install Magento extensions.
There is a simple solution (I found after a while of searching!). All you need to do is rename (I rename rather than delete so I can revert easily if something goes wrong) “downloader/pearlib/pear.ini”. Call it pear.ini.old or whatever suits you and then try and install a Magento extension. This will force Magento to rebuild the pear.ini file using your new server path and hey presto, you can install Magento extensions easily again!